Back to home / software / itunes.
TunesBrowser is a simple music player, capable of playing music
found on iTunes® shares.
TunesBrowser can connect to the latest iTunes applications (as of April 29 2004)
and is implemented on top of libopendaap
TunesBrowser's interface is quite similar to that of iTunes.
TunesBrowser was written with the purpose of being a prototype
front-end for libopendaap. I intend to integrate libopendaap with
other, more mature, players.
- Play mp3s off other computers running iTunes
- Discovery of hosts over Rendezvous.
PLEASE NOTE: This version of TunesBrowser (based on libopenedaap) no longer works with iTunes.
Long ago, Apple changed
their authetnication code. Their new authentication code is a lot more complicated and much harder to
reverse engineer. This code may still work with other daap servers, however.
Download & Changelog:
- 0.3.0 - May 16, 2005
- Add password support. You will be prompted for a password if
a server requires a password.
- Add playlist support. Playlists will appear on connection to a server.
- Add a tip of the day and a config file.
- Several bug and portablity fixes.
- 0.2.0 - January 4, 2005
- Add new Party Shuffle feature to allow selected ordering of
songs from any available hosts.
- Total rewrite of application core for improved stability and
- Total rewrite of music player interface, fixes random
freezes in gstreamer. (Works around gstreamer bug).
- Add support for gstreamer 0.8.
- Various GUI improvements
- Add support for playing local songs dragged into the Party
- Add support for connecting to mt-daapd servers.
- Plenty of bug fixes.
- 0.1.6 - August 1, 2004
- Fix slow play start when starting from slow computers.
- Remove host from list when it goes away.
- Various backend changes.
- Beat Birkhofer: Use the ESD sink (generally available on OS X).
- 0.1.5 - June 5, 2004
- David Moore: Fix crash on adding new hosts with an existing host list.
- 0.1.4 - April 29, 2004
- Update for iTunes 4.5: Support libopendaap 0.2.0.
- Better support for multiple hosts: Fix some crashes.
- Grey out unsupported buttons
- 0.1.3 - March 17, 2004: Several small (but very annoying) bugs fixed
- Fix crash when trying to change the currently playing song. (Yeah, I know about the little crackle
that it gives off when doing this now, and that it sometimes takes a little while to change).
- Try to use alsa or artsd sinks if osssink isn't around.
- Report and exit (rather than crash) if one of the gstreamer elements isn't around.
- 0.1.2 - March 10, 2004: Should dramatically improve scalabillity to large networks
- Use libopendaap 0.1.2
- Use hosts in source list, not databases
- Connect to hosts only when required
- 0.1.1 - Feb 29, 2004: Initial public release.
See the front page for contact details.
Copyright (c) 2004 David Hammerton.
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person
obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation
files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without
restriction, including without limitation the rights to use,
copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or
sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES
OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND
NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT
HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY,
WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING
FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR
OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
Known Issues / To Do:
- Doesn't detect database updates
- Search, shuffle and repeat features do not work
- Download libopendaap and install
with these commands:
- tar jxvf libopendaap-VERSION.tar.bz2
- cd libopendaap
- make install
- Download TunesBrowser (from this page) and install with
- tar jxvf tunesbrowser-VERSION.tar.bz2
- cd tunesbrowser
- make install
- You should then be able to run 'tunesbrowser'. You may need to specify the path
such as '/usr/local/bin/tunesbrowser'. If it says something about not finding
libopendaap - you may need to set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable
Please let me know if you use and enjoy (or hate) this software!
Apple and iTunes are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc.